Activities to try to achieve this target...
- Find items that OAK is interested in i.e. instruments, mirror, favourite toy, and items that she is less interested in i.e. soft toys. Encourage OAK to look at or listen to each item in turn and then to make a choice from two. Look for OAK looking at one more than the other, smiling or laughing at one or turning her head away from the other she is less interested in.
- Always offer her a choice of two alone, start with one you think she likes and one she does not, holding them up into her eye line and playing with them yourself initially to try to get her attention and gain her interest in the items you are offering.
- Once she has made a choice try the same items again but offer on the opposite sides to see if OAK will once again make the same choice for her preferred object by looking at it for a longer period of time or smiling.
- When you feel that OAK has made a clear choice from the two objects, move onto new objects to serif she can make another choice from different items.
- You could also try TacPac sessions with OAK, exploring the different items within the TacPac together to find out which she seems to prefer over the others. Once you have finished the TacPac, offer OAK one of the items she seemed to enjoy the most alongside another item she was less interested in. Once she makes a choice from the two, play the song and explore that chosen item together one more time as a reward for her choice.